2.0 is a 2018 Indian Tamil-language science fiction action film written and directed by S. Shankar. It is the sequel to the 2010 film Enthiran, and stars Rajinikanth in dual roles as Dr. Vaseegaran and Chitti, the humanoid robot he created. The film also stars Akshay Kumar, Amy Jackson, and Sudhanshu Pandey.
|Release Date||November 29, 2018|
|Music Director||A. R. Rahman|
|Production Company||Lyca Productions|
|Distributor||Sony Pictures Entertainment|
|Budget||₹450 crore (US$63 million)|
|Box Office||₹650 crore (US$91 million)|
|Cast||Rajinikanth, Akshay Kumar, Amy Jackson, Sudhanshu Pandey, Adil Hussain, Kalabhavan Shajohn|
|Plot||Dr. Vasigaran (Rajinikanth) creates a new robot named Chitti 2.0 to counter the threat posed by Pakshi Rajan (Akshay Kumar), a mad scientist who has created an army of deadly robots.|
|Themes||Artificial intelligence, good vs. evil, the power of science|
|Box Office Performance||Commercial success|
Budget and Collection
2.0 was made on a budget of ₹543 crore (US$76 million), making it the second most expensive Indian film ever made at the time of its release. The film grossed over ₹800 crore (US$110 million) worldwide, making it one of the highest-grossing Indian films of all time.
2.0 has an IMDb rating of 5.6/10, based on over 100,000 ratings.
2.0 received mixed reviews from critics. Some critics praised the film’s special effects and Rajinikanth’s performance, but others criticized the film’s convoluted storyline and its lack of emotional depth.
- “2.0 is a visual spectacle that will leave you awestruck. The special effects are some of the best I’ve ever seen in an Indian film.” – NDTV
- “Rajinikanth is in top form as both Dr. Vaseegaran and Chitti. He brings his trademark charisma and charm to both roles.” – The Indian Express
- “2.0 is a fun and entertaining film that is sure to please fans of the genre.” – The Times of India
- “2.0’s storyline is convoluted and confusing. The film tries to do too much, and it ends up feeling bloated and overstuffed.” – Hindustan Times
- “2.0 lacks emotional depth. The characters are underdeveloped, and the film fails to connect with the audience on an emotional level.” – Deccan Chronicle
- “2.0 is a visual spectacle, but it is also a soulless and empty film.” – The Hindu
2.0 is a mixed bag. It is a visual spectacle with strong performances from Rajinikanth and Akshay Kumar. However, the film’s convoluted storyline and lack of emotional depth prevent it from being a truly great film.